Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is the supreme managing body of SSAU. The Board of Directors has the following responsibilities:
- Provide advices on the SSAU education policy and monitor its implementation;
- Set the internal regulations of SSAU;
- Approve the budget of SSAU;
- Approve the annual report on the use of funds and assets of SSAU;
- Approve the SSAU short, medium and long-term action plan;
- Approve the annual activity plan of the Institution and the associated budget;
- Approve Senate’s decisions, related especially to the delivery of degrees, the recruitment, the promotion, the setting for teachers and researchers, as well as sanctions inflicted on them where necessary;
- Approve the Senior Management's decisions on financial management, as well as on SSAU’ assets and staff ;
- Fix the amount of fees payable by students and the amount to be invested in general services of SSAU;
- Decide the beneficiaries of bursary loans and prizes to be granted by SSAU;
- Ensure the fulfilment of any other task tallying with the accomplishment of the SSAU’s mission;
- Approve agreements signed between SSSAU and other institutions of Higher learning, research centers and other bodies.
Founder/President and chairman of the Management Council
Dr Joseph Rudigi Rukema (PhD)
Message from the Founder/President and Chairman of the Management Board
It is a great pleasure to announce the second year of the opening of Sub-Saharan Africa University in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo. SSAU holds an important place in the educational environment in DRC, Africa and in the world. It is distinguished by its unique mandate to promote:
- Education centered on student and community development;
- African indigenous knowledge in the world of science, through its teaching and research;
- The culture of research and innovation
- Cooperation between universities of Africa and the world
- Facilitate the exchange between students and teachers in Africa and other world universities
- Cooperation and the link between the community, the scientific community and policy makers
- The quality of education in DR Congo and Africa
SSAU is one of the universities in the world that directly contribute to community development through its research programs and innovation.
SSAU established partnerships with local administrative structures of the DR Congo, civil society, local people, and international organizations to contribute positively to the developments of the DR Congo in all areas. SSAU is distinguished by its quality and innovative teaching practice, based on scientific research and direct participation of the population, its students and its staff.
Professor Geoff Harris
Message from the Rector
It is a great pleasure to write you this message at the beginning of the second year of the establishment of the Sub-Sharan Africa University (SSAU).
SSAU is located in a region that has suffered heavily armed conflicts for many years, the university will inevitably contribute to the building of peace. First, it will contribute to «peace-building», which refers to the reconstruction of different components of a society. Examples include education, health, transport and judicial systems. There are also examples of the private sector such as financial services and civil society organizations, including churches. A well - functioning society should have such systems. The new university will contribute to the well being of human beings and their rights, as it will support the efforts made in all areas by the Congolese government and its people, Civil Societies, and the international community.
I hope the new university, through its students, staff and friends will immensely contribute to the reconstruction of peace through education programs and other development activities.
Professor Geoff Harris
Rector of Sub-Saharan Africa University (SSAU)
Vice-Rector: Administration and Cooperation
Vice-Rector : Academic Affairs
Matungulu Tara Nes
Director of Research and International collaboration
Dr Beatrice Umubyeyi
Human resources Director and projects Manager